The Qatar Olympic Committee held its annual Sport Excellence Awards at Barahat Msheireb on Sunday to honor those who made glorious achievements and took Qatar’s name to greater heights at the Olympic and sports levels during the year 2021. The ceremony attended by HE Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad Al Thani, the president of Qatar Olympic Committee.
In Sunday’s ceremonial event , awards were presented to athletes , administrators, sport personalities and institutions supporting the sports , with the attendance of prominent sport and public figures, representatives of government and privative organizations who spared no effort to supporting Qatari sport movement over a tricky sport season in which COVID-19 challenges have changed the path of the sports worldwide.
H.E Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad Al Thani, the president of Qatar Olympic Committee confirmed that this Sport Excellence Awards comes in the light of QOC’s constant commitment to honor the athletes of prominent achievements along with the partners from Ministries and institutions that are supporting the sport movement.
His Excellency lauded all the achievements being made this year, appreciated team Qatar’s new chapter of achievements in Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games and described the Qatar’s participation as the best – ever in the nation’s sports history, which ended with 4 medals, including two gold medals claimed by Faris Ibrahim and Mutaz Barshim and a bronze medal clinched by the Qatar beach volleyball team, in addition to Abdulrahman Abdulqader broze metal at the shot pot competitions of the Paralympic games.
H.E Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad Al Thani said that these ongoing series of success of team Qatar at different domains are an outcome of unlimited support given by His Highness the Amir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the first supporter of sports.
.The president of the Qatar Olympic Committee expressed his pride and gratitude of all efforts made by team Qatar stars who honored Qatari sports at different regional, continental and international levels. H.E wished good luck and more record of achievements for team Qatar in upcoming sport events.
Speaking during the event, the Qatar Olympic Committee Secretary General HE Jassim Rashid Al Buenain delivered messages of thanks and gratitude to His Highness the Emir Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani for his unlimited support to the Qatar sports , that keeps up our nation’s achievements grow year after year at all domains.
H.E Secretary General said: ” We made history and stole the spotlights at Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games after adding unprecedented achievements to the Qatar’s sport record. Our team Qatar won two gold medals and secured another two bronze medals to lead the Arabic standings at the Games as Qatar took the 41st place in the overall standings.
“ This achievement came on the background of constant effort over many years to develop Qatari sport movement in order to reach the highest level of success .
On this occasion, we appreciate the role played by the Ministries, government bodies, authorities, public institutions and private companies in supporting the country’s sport movement, in way that keep our plans, goals and ambitions applicable and possible” Added the QOC Secretary General
HE Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad Al Thani, the president of Qatar Olympic Committee handed over the Sport Excellence Awards to the following honorees:
Sports Excellence Awards 2021:
• Male Athlete of the Year Award: Fares Ibrahim, Mutaz Barshim and Abderrahman Samba.
• Female Athlete of the Year Award: Tala Abujbara
• Male Para-Athlete of the Year Award: Abdulrahman Abdulqader Abdulrahman
• Female Para-Athlete of the Year Award: Sara Hamdi Masoud
• Promising Male Athlete of the Year Award: Saeed Zmzom Alabsi
• Jockey of the Year Award: Faleh Bo Ghneim
• Golden Federation Award: Qatar Weightlifting and Fencing Federation, Qatar Athletics Federation and Qatar Volleyball Association
• Men’s Team of the Year Award: Beach Volleyball Team
• Women’s Team of the Year Award: Women’s Table Tennis Team
• Male best personal sports Achievement in Community Award: Rashid rashid Al khayarin Al-hajri
• Female best personal sports Achievement in Community Award: Sheikha Hind bint Hamad AL-Thani, Sheikha Asma bint Thani AL-Thani, Lolwa Al-Marri and Sheikha Hanoof bint Thani AL- Thani
• Distinguished Governmental Institution in Supporting Olympic Movement Awad: Ministry of Public Health and Ministry of Foreign Affairs
• Media Partner Award: Al Kass Channels
• Recognition Award for Personalities that served sport in Qatar: Sheikh Mohammed Bin Eid Al Thani and Yousef Ahmed Alsai
• Team Qatar Official Supporter Award: Ibn Ajayan Projects and Aamal Company
• Official Sponsor of Sport For Life Programs Award: Vodafone
• Distinguished company in supporting sport: Sports Corner
• Distinguished local company in supporting sport: Snoonu
• Coach of the Year Award: Ibrahim Al Said Hassouna and Mariano Baracetti
• Male Administrator of the Year Award: Khalifa Yousef Abdul Malik, Zayed Mubarak Al-khayarin, Mohamed Salem Al-kuwari and Mohamed Anbar Al-Nasser
• Female Administrator of the Year Award: Nawal Abdulla Al-Sulaiti
• Referee of the Year Award: Abdullah Ali Al Motawa Al Hammadi
• Female Referee of the Year Award: Abeer Al-Buainain
• Camel Trainer of the Year Award: Mohamed Khalid Al Attiyah
• Camel Owner of the Year Award: Nasser Abdulla Al Mesnad
• Horse Owner of the Year Award: Khalifa S Al Kuwari
• Qatari Horse Trainer of the Year Award: Ibrahim Saeed Almalki